The Electric Department was purchased January 1st of 1900 by the City Council for $12,000.00.
Since that time the Electric Department has seen many changes, today they own a 38 megawatt Power Plant. There are 8 dual fuel engines that are ready to run during emergency conditions. The department employs 19 full time employees.
Princeton Electric Department is a member of the Illinois Municipal Electric Agency and Illinois Municipal Utility Association.